Ghanaian Glass Bead - Small - Opaque
Glass beads have been made for centuries throughout Africa. Using a technique that has been handed down from generation to generation, our makers begin by compressing glass into a dry grain, and heating the grain so that the pieces form together. The recycled glass is rushed into a porcelain cast. The stem of a cassava leaf is used to make the hole. The beads are baked in a furnace causing the glass to melt together and cassava stem to burn, leaving only the grainy textured "sand glass" bead behind.
Our makers are members of Ghana's Krobo Tribe in Western Africa. Beads have played an important role in the cultural life of many communities throughout the Continent of Africa, and remain to this day a symbol of wealth and a form of currency.
- Dimensions: 0.75" diameter (beads) x 13"L (strand of beads)
- Color: Opaque / Light Green
- Made of: Glass, sand / silica
- Made in: Ghana
Price is for one strand of Small beads.
To create a double sculpture, add a Large Strand of Beads and a Double Display Stand
Ngala Trading is proud to promote a curated selection of authentic designs featuring sustainable materials readily available from and across Africa.
- Due to the use of natural materials each piece is unique and may vary slightly from image shown. Please contact us prior to ordering if you have any questions or concerns about potential variations
- One-year peace-of-mind guarantee against defects in materials and workmanship
Shipping & Returns
We strive to deliver your purchase in the quickest and most economical way possible. Our team reviews every order individually, and determines the best shipping method taking into account destination, weight and size of items.
- Small packages ship via FedEx Ground from Hackensack, NJ
- Transit time for In Stock items is typically 3-5 days depending on Ship To address
- Shipments are sent fully insured, and require an adult signature at the time of delivery
Ngala Trading products offer more than just beauty and distinction...they offer a story. A story about the material, the people who made the product, and the cultural meaning of an otherwise function piece of decor. The essence of our brand is the story of Africa told through crafted design.